STEM & Sustainability
The Rediscovery Centre is delighted to announce the launch of our STEM and Sustainability project. This exciting, new project includes the delivery of FREE education workshops, programmes, and teacher CPD to qualifying primary and secondary schools. See below for more details on workshops and programme offerings.
Click here to register your interest and to see if your school qualifies.
About the Project:
The Rediscovery Centre’s STEM and Sustainability project is a national programme for education and public engagement delivering a suite of education workshops, programmes and events on sustainability and STEM topics. The project aims to educate students, teachers and members of the public on the science of sustainability, by examining and exploring how STEM can solve societal challenges and build a more sustainable future. This 2-year project is kindly funded by Science Foundation Ireland under the SFI Discover Programme
To access our STEM & Sustainability Brochure, click here STEM & Sustainability Brochure 2022/23
- FREE Workshops for qualifying Primary and Post-Primary schools and Additional Needs classes and students. Click here for more information.
- FREE Programmes for qualifying Primary and Post-Primary schools and Additional Needs classes and students. Click here for more information.
- FREE Teacher CPD Workshops. Click here for more information.
- Free Events. Click here for more information.
Please click here and complete the form to register your interest and learn if your school qualifies for one of these free offerings.
Education Workshops for Schools
Our free education workshops for schools encourage learners to get excited and engaged with STEM. These workshops will explore a societal challenge related to sustainability and use STEM thinking and hands-on activities to examine and solve that problem. Workshops are 90 minutes in duration and can facilitate a maximum of 30 participants per workshop. To access our STEM & Sustainability Brochure, click here STEM & Sustainability Brochure 2022/23
- Primary schools (suitable for 3rd to 6th class): Science of Sustainability, Plastic Problem, Climate Heroes, Transport for the Future
- Secondary schools (1st to 6th years): Science of Sustainability, Sustainable Food, Sustainable Engineering, Sustainable Fashion
- Workshops for Special needs schools/classes: Workshop Topics: Science of Waste (aimed at younger students), Biodiversity (aimed at younger students), Plastic Problems (aimed at older students), Sustainable Fashion (aimed at post-primary students)
Please click here and complete this form to register your interest and to see if your school qualifies.
Education Programmes for Schools
Our Multi-session education programmes consist of 3 consecutive workshops delivered over the course of 3-6 months, aimed at primary, secondary and additional needs students. The fun engaging education programmes for schools consist of 3 workshops of 90mins in duration each and link with the school curriculum in a interactive way. We can facilitate a maximum of 30 students per programme. To access our STEM & Sustainability Brochure, click here STEM & Sustainability Brochure 2022/23
- Primary Programme: consists of 3 workshops per class. Suitable for 3rd to 6th Choose any 3 from the primary level topics.
- 1 x Secondary Programme: consists of 3 workshops per class. suitable for 1st Year to 6th Choose any 3 from the post-primary level topics.
- 1 x Special Needs Programme: consists of 3 workshops per class. Choose any 3 topics
Please click here and complete the form to see if your school qualifies for a free programme and to register your interest in one.
Teacher CPD Workshops – FREE CPD Workshops for Primary and Post-Primary teachers
Our CPD workshops for primary and secondary teachers revolve around the theme of STEM and Sustainability. Each of the workshops will use a societal challenge related to sustainability and STEM to be examined in terms of STEM thinking and solution generation. To access our STEM & Sustainability Brochure, click here STEM & Sustainability Brochure 2022/23
CPD workshops for Primary Teachers
- Sustainability in the Classroom Teacher CPD workshop: explores the science of sustainability, the value of sustainability, sustainability and the circular economy in action and how sustainability is linked with different subjects in a cross-curricular approach. The workshop includes a range of activities and resources for teachers.
- Sustainable Maths Teacher CPD workshop: explores the key challenges for teachers in teaching Maths for additional/special needs students, and how sustainability can be incorporated into the Maths curriculum. The workshop includes hands-on activities for teachers to make sustainable Maths resources using simple materials and investigate the resources. This workshop is suitable for primary teachers and SNA’s working with children with additional/special needs.
CPD workshops for Post-Primary/Secondary Teachers
- The Value of Sustainability Teacher CPD workshop: The Value of Sustainability Teacher CPD workshop for post-primary teachers explores the science of sustainability, the value of sustainability, sustainability and the circular economy in action, and how sustainability links with different subjects in a cross-curricular approach. The workshop includes a range of activities and resources for teachers.
- Sustainable Fashion Teacher CPD workshop: explores the impacts of the fashion industry, the concept of sustainability, and the principles of sustainable and circular fashion and examines how STEM can provide solutions for the future of the fashion industry and consumer choice. This workshop links with a range of subjects including Science, Home Economics, ESS and Geography.
The STEM & Sustainability project includes the delivery of large and smaller events organised to offer a range of different interactive STEM workshops, talks, shows and activities that appeal to attendees from schools, youth groups and the general public. The events will be open to participants of all ages, ensuring inclusion and accessibility. The Events are designed to ensure there is something for everyone and each attendee will learn something new about STEM during the event. See our upcoming listed below and book here
- 12th Nov 2022 Let’s Talk Science Festival: In-person event for children, teens, adults and families on 12th November 2022 at the Rediscovery Centre. The Rediscovery Centre will be delivering the Let’s Talk Science, Ballymun’s science festival at the start of Science Week 2022. This innovative and enjoyable event is aimed at all members of the public and all age groups (children aged 4 upwards as well as adults) in the local area, Dublin and nationally. The theme of this year’s festival is Science for the Future. Book here
- 17th Nov 2022 Women in STEM: Virtual live event for secondary school students on 17th November 2022. The Rediscovery Centre will be hosting an hour long (11am-12pm) Women in STEM virtual panel discussion, which will be moderated by our Education team. The event is aimed at female students in secondary schools, and is a wonderful opportunity to hear about the experiences and knowledge of our incredible panel of women working in STEM. Book here
- 21st Nov 2022 Galway Science Festival Event: In-person event for one primary school in Galway on 21st November 2022 as part of Galway Science Festival. The Rediscovery Centre will be delivering a one day science/STEM event in a school in Galway as part of Galway Science Festival 2022. The event will include in-person activities and stands on the theme of Science for the Future. The event will offer a wide range of STEM activities to provide students with the opportunity to engage with and explore science, technology, engineering and maths.
- April 2023 Tech for a Sustainable Future. Virtual live event for secondary school students during National Tech Week 2023. This is a free event for secondary schools, under the STEM & Sustainability project. The Rediscovery Centre will be inviting relevant tech companies, organisations and third level institutions to participate in the event as exhibitors. The exhibitors will be chosen to illustrate the vast range of technology solutions that have been developed to create a more sustainable future and combat societal challenges such as climate change, biodiversity loss, resource efficiency, global justice issues, waste, pollution etc.
Get in touch
See our FREE workshop signup form here. For more information please contact us at email@example.com or check out our social media.
Click here to subscribe to our Education Department mailing list.